Kayaking around the Tutukaka Harbour and nearby bays is suitable for all levels. This picturesque Harbour is usually safe in windy or rough seas. Tutukaka Harbour, sandy and rocky bays, fishing and snorkelling are some of the highlights of this area. Launch your kayak from Tutukaka Marina or Kowharewarewa Bay.
- The Harbour and nearby Bays are best in an offshore SW or Westerly wind.
- Whilst Tutukaka Harbour is a safe place to paddle don’t linger in the main channel as there are a lot of boats leaving and entering the harbour.
- Be especially careful around the entrance as it gets narrower.
- Watch also for swells in the channels as you head towards Te Waiti Bay and Rahomaunu Island (South of Harbour).
- Keep clear of rocks and cliff faces you may end up sitting high and dry or get backwash.
- Swells also can enter the caves near South Gable and below Pacific Rendezvous. Approach with caution and in reverse.